The Pastel Society
Sponsored by Derwent
The Pastel Society
Encouraging the use of pastel within the contemporary art world. The Society was founded in 1898, and the first exhibition held in the Royal Institute in Piccadilly. Founder members and early exhibitors included Brangwyn, Degas, Rodin, Rothenstein, Whistler and G.F. Watts. There are currently over fifty-five Members who are professional artists living and working in this country and overseas. Membership is granted through a strict assessment of technical skill, originality, innovation and enthusiasm.
The Society pursues its aims through education and example. It is currently responsible for organising exhibitions, tutorial workshops, demonstrations and lectures throughout the UK. The Society's major showcase is the Annual Exhibition held at the prestigious Mall Galleries in London. This is open to entries from both Members and Non-Members. Awards are made to works of particular note. Workshops and demonstrations are also provided throughout the duration of the exhibition.
The Mall Galleries, The Mall, London SW1
Telephone: 020 7930 6844
Pastel Society 2018 Exhibition Dates
The Pastel Society seeks the best in contemporary pastel and dry media, combining traditional skills with creative originality.
Artists are invited to submit works for exhibition alongside members of The Pastel Society at their Annual Exhibition 2018.
How to Submit:
- ALL work must be submitted online. Pre-selection from online entries will take place, after which pre-selected entries should be delivered to Mall Galleries, London, for final selection:
- Upload images of work at http://mallgalleries.oess.uk between Monday 31 July and Friday 3 November 2017, 2noon [Note: Images must be in JPEG format and under 5MB]
- Check http://mallgalleries.oess.uk on Friday 10 November, from 12 noon, to see if your work has been pre-selected
- If pre-selected, deliver your work on Saturday 6 January 2018, 10am - 5pm, to Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD
- Check www.mallgalleries.org.uk on Tuesday 9 January, from 12 noon, to see if your work has been accepted to the exhibition
- If unaccepted, collect your work from Mall Galleries, 17 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5BD on Thursday 11 January, 10am - 5pm
- Submission opens: Monday 31 July 2017, 12 noon
- Submission closes: Friday 3 November, 12 noon
- Pre-selection notification: Friday 10 November, 12 noon [Log in to see if your work has been pre-selected]
- Receiving Day (if pre-selected only): Saturday 6 January 2018, 10am - 5pm
- Acceptance notification: Tuesday 9 January, 12 noon
- Collection of unaccepted work: Thursday 11 January, 10am - 5pm
- Exhibition open: Tuesday 20 February, 10am - 5pm
- Exhibition closes: Saturday 3 March, 3pm
- Collection of unsold work: Thursday 8 March, 10am - 5pm
- Any artist over 18 may submit.
- Acceptable media: Pastels, oil pastels, charcoal, pencil, conte, sanguine, or any dry media.
- Submission fee: £15 per work (£10 per work for artists aged 35 or under).
- Work must have been completed during the twelve months prior to the exhibition and not have been exhibited elsewhere.
- Maximum of six works submitted. Maximum of four works selected.
- Works should not be larger than 2.4m along the longest dimension.
- All work must be for sale. Minimum price: £300.
Artists who are not resident in the UK but are resident in the EU or elsewhere are welcome to submit work. If your work is sold at the exhibition you have a responsibility to register and account for UK VAT with H.M. Revenue & Customs. Artists without a UK residence (known as 'NETPs' - non-established taxable persons) can find further details on 'NETP' status and how to register for VAT at www.hmrc.gov.uk (HM Revenue & Customs Reference: Notice 700/1, Mar 2014) under the heading 'Should I be registered for VAT?' Please note: the registration process can take up to 4 weeks. Please address any questions you may have to the VAT Helpline on tel. no. 0300 200 3700 or Outside UK: +44 2920 501 261.
Prizes & Awards (subject to confirmation)
There are a number of prizes and awards available to win, including:
Alfred Teddy Smith and Zsuzsi Roboz Prize The prize of £5,000 will be awarded to a young artist, aged 35 years or under, for traditional skills, used in an original way. All subject matter will be considered. The Judges will be encouraged to award the Prize to an artist who demonstrates a particular excellence in draughtsmanship and innovative thought. Pastels, oil pastels, charcoal, pencil, conte, sanguine, or any dry media are all acceptable. The award is to recognise Zsuzsi Roboz's enormous contribution to draughtsmanship.
Derwent Sponsor's Award
Unison Young Artist Award
Unison Colour Product Award
Unison Members Award
Royal Talens/Rembrandt Award
The Artist Magazine Award
Artists & Illustrators Magazine Award
The Pastel Society Young Artist Award
PS Catalogue Award 1st & 2nd Prize for a Non Member
Caran d'Ache Award
West Design/Faber Castell Award
Frank Herring & Sons Award
The Annie Longley Award
Henri Roché Award
To read or download the October 2017 Pastel Society Newsletter [Download]
Previous issues are available on the Archive Page of this site.